1. FOOTBALL A signed Nerf Football by his favorite team, his family of course. Just use a permanent marker and monitor the little ones so that they are not permanently marked.
2. PHOTOGRAPH A framed photograph is great for the new daddy. Buy a simple frame, add baby picture but don’t stop there. Include a love note from the baby or the young child.
3. MEAT A big fat steak and a pair of grilling gloves that are not pink or frilly.
4. HOMEMADE CARDS AND BREAKFAST Homemade cards, just grab a few items from you kids paper stash and have them draw pictures. Set them on a tray in the morning with a simple breakfast of cereal and toast with fruit. Or if you’re feeling wild and crazy go all out and make Eggs Benedict and chocolate chip waffles.
5. TIME OUT FOR SPORTS Print out his favorite sport’s TV listings for the day. Right a note at the end that simply says, enjoy your day. Roll it up, tie it with a ribbon and hand it to him bright and early that morning with a cup of coffee or tea. Now the tricky part here is you cannot complain all day if he is just sitting on his behind watching sports. It is his day, after all. You can nag him next weekend.
6. BASEBALL If he is a baseball f an and you have a new baby at home you can take a baseball or plain ball cap, a skin safe ink pad and stamp your little ones foot onto the hat or ball. Much like the little foot stamp they give at the hospital. Make sure you purchase a new hat or ball. Stamping his favorite hat or Lord forbid a “signed” baseball would not make for a Happy Father’s Day.
7. CANDY Purchase all his favorite childhood candies and put them in a big glass jar, add a six-pack of some kind of fizzy drink like root beer or grape soda. Tape a note card on the top telling him he is the sweetest daddy in the world.
8. GOLF For the golfing husband golf balls are always a good choice. But, golf balls are not cheap. And you have to purchase the exact kind the daddy in your life uses or they will end up in the garage collecting dust, Grab one from his bag and take it to the local golf shop. The clerks there can help you find an exact match, If the sticker price shocks you then purchase a gift certificate and let him throw down the rest of the cash.
9. MUSIC If you are a techie –snag his MP3 player and add a snippet of you singing his favorite song. Then tell him Happy Father’s Day. Let the children chime in if you have the patience.
10. OLD SCHOOL Or totally take it old school and buy anything June Cleaver would have bought. Hankies and Soap on a Rope!