Its really early here on the home front. I have my big mug of coffee and am enjoying the quiet before the storm. My days are full and for the most part pretty darn good. I enjoy this time, Dawn is just stretching her limbs, and the sun is just now peeking over the hills. It feels pretty darn peaceful. But there are things to be done. So I grab my trusty purple pen and begin planning my day.Planning my day is a big task because I am a work at home mom ( WAHM).
For many years I was an office store junkie for planning my day. I bought and tried it all. I purchased time-management books, organizing books, day planners in all sizes, software, PDAs, and the semi-current I-touch. I still enjoy my I-touch but not for daily planning.
These days, I am a simple girl.
This planning time usually takes place in the morning before my little guy is awake. But if I am feeling adventurous I may complete this task at night before bed time.
The index cards help me to keep a more balanced life. They are labeled at the top with morning, work, home, little guy, me, and evening. Each one is written simply, and I can usually complete the whole cards because I am learning to be sensible about how much time is actually in one day.
Here are examples of a typical day.
- Make Bed
- Get Dressed
- Coffee and Cards time
- Pack Lunches, snacks, and one Fridays homework folder.
- Little guy get dressed
- Breakfast and vitamins
- Little guy to school
- Physical inbox (this is anything that does not come to an email format.)
- Email inbox
- General work task on current projects
- Shine one room ( clear clutter and clean)
- Planning ( meals, shopping, vacations… etc. )
- Tidy Kitchen
- Ten magical minutes of PUPA ( pick up, put away)
- Study ( we should never stop learning)
- Homework and Kumon
- Play Time
- ( insert here any calendar date activities)
- Tidy Kitchen after dinner
- Little Guy Shower and reading before bed
- Clothes for next day
- Face routine ( teeth, clean and put goop on the face, trim nails as needed.)
- Hang out with hubby
And it is that simple. I try never to write a list that will not have a fighting chance to complete.
Life as a WAHM is overwhelming enough without giving it crazy expectations.
Well, the sun is up. Time to get my day started.