Southern Fried Cabbage with Onions
Southern fried cabbage with onions is a favorite cabbage recipe and is the perfect side dish for chops and beans. Add some crisp bacon for even more flavor!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Vegetable, Gluten Free, Side Dish
- Method: Fried
- Cuisine: Southern
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp real butter
- 1 medium onion – pared and sliced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic – minced
- 1 medium to large head of cabbage – chopped into ½ inch strips
- 1 Tsp. sea salt
- ¼ Tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 Tsp. red pepper flakes
- In a large skillet or pot warm olive oil and butter on medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic – sauté until they become soft and slightly lucid.
- Now add half of the cabbage, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, and stir.
- Add remaining cabbage stir, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cook until tender but not so much that it becomes easily mashed. The fork should penetrate large cabbage veins easy.
- I like to caramelize the dish a bit by cooking with a lid for half the cooking time then stick around and watch and stir a couple of times until the edges of the cabbage turn a little brown. The flavor will be sweet and savory.
Add crisp fried bacon after carmelizing the onions for even more flavor.