Southern Yellow Squash Casserole Recipe
Yellow Squash Casserole is an essential southern recipe for potlucks, bbqs, and holidays. Its buttery cracker and parmesan topping and tender squash, makes this recipe a favorite all year round!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Side Dish, Veget5able
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Southern
- 3 tbsp spoons butter (2 for crackers and one sauteing squash)
- 4 medium yellow squash, washed, ends trimmed, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium onion diced (about the size of your fist)
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated medium cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonaisse
- 1 cup crush butter crackers (I use Ritz)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray an 8 or 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
(In the photo I am using a Le Creuset Oval Pan that I love!)
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add squash, onion and a teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Saute until squash and onions are tender.
- Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together eggs, cheddar cheese sour cream, and mayonnaise.
- Add tender squash and onions to the bowl and fold until blended.
- Transfer the squash mixture into prepared baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine crushed butter crackers, parmesan cheese and two tablespoons melted butter.
Sprinkle cracker crumb mixture over top of casserole.
- Bake 30 – 35 minute, or until casserole registers 165º F and cracker topping is golden brown.
For an extra festive casserole, add chopped pimento to the egg mixture for a little color. Garnish with fresh chopped Italian parsley.
Keywords: yellow squash casserole, southern squash casseole, ritz cracker squash casserole