Today I am sharing How To Style A Book Case! I am so happy with my results and it was so easy.
I have been patiently waiting for a couch we ordered to come in so that we can finally finish the furniture update in our living room for two months. I have high hopes that it will one day appear, but at this point I am just happy that we have two chairs and the ottomans. I imagine my patience got the best of me today so I went on a mission to make our bookcase pretty. This was hard for me, paring down books to me is like pulling teeth. I can’t bare to part with or not see my favorites crammed into every nook and cranny in the house.
But I am so glad I did. 🙂
There is something so nice about walking into a room and seeing a bit of organized fancy on a shelf or mantle. It lets you know right away that the home-owner really wants to make a home out of his or her house.
I am truly happy about how this bookcase came out and I can’t wait to decorate ( re-style) for the next big holiday. It really was so much fun. And so easy, in fact I am sharing with you the six-easy steps I took to style our family room bookcase.
- Purge Books – This is tough for book-geeks. But if you have not read a book and don’t plan to read it ever again in your life-time then give it away! Be free and you will make space for beauty and NEW books!
- Choose a color palette and theme. – This is really simple. The theme can be the season, the theme of the room the bookcase is standing, or style it with your favorite books in mind ( Think Cannery Row by John Steinback…. styling with large cans of sardines. 🙂 ). The sky is the limit! Choose a basic color and add complimenting colors drawn from the room. I chose whites with hints black, tweeds and a bit of blue. We have tons of metal in our house so iron and bronze are big. ( Our family is in the metal business.)
- Baskets, Boxes and Trays – These are larger elements that help anchor the design and do double duty by holding smaller objects. Our bins are holding children’s books and toys.
- Items You Love – These are the small to medium-sized elements that add life to your bookcase design. Things like framed photos, a jar of sea shells, small globes, bowls and the list goes on and on. The best part about “Items Your Love” is that you utilize items you already have in your home. 🙂
- Words and Art – Add a bit of art, either photography from favorite trips ( landscapes and flowers, etc,) or small paintings and prints. I love a canvas with a quote that really means something to me. I was lucky to find this black and white canvas with that says ” Do one thing everyday that makes you HAPPY!” These are words to live by folks.
- No Too Much – Don’t ever fill your bookcase, unless you have a complete wall of books, which to me looks awesome. Less is more and space gives peace.
[bctt tweet=”Tip: Make sure items that are within kid reach are will not break. The lower shelves are great to add items for kids” username=”mommacansing”]
Here is another view of the bookcase, your can see the texture of the fabric boxes. Love it!
I hope this post has inspired your to take a look at your shelves or bookcases and embark on purging and making them organized, styled and beautiful!
If so, then please take a photo of your styled bookcase and send it to me at pamela (at) mommacan.com or share it on our Facebook Page! I would love to feature your hard work in a future blog post!
SHOP THIS PROJECT
Fabric Boxes, Plant with White Container, Pitcher, Word Art ( All from the local Homegoods) , Here is a bookshelf similar to ours, which is out of production.
Leave a Reply