Some folks have a junk drawer in the kitchen only.
Some folks have a junk drawer in every room of the house.
Some folks have surpassed junk drawer and the corner of the room has become the dumping ground of all things possible or even possibly and entire room!
The Everything Organizer
Last year, I did away with all but one junk drawer in my house. I use to have one in the kitchen, the laundry room and my office. Now the only one left is my office and I plan to get rid of it after I declutter it some today.
Why get rid of the junk drawer? Because the word junk encompasses way to many things and it just ends up being a completely stuffed drawer, that will not close and has no purpose except to lose things in its crusty cluttered jaws.
How to Declutter Your Junk Drawer and Give It A Purpose
- Empty out all contents. ( This part always scares me, you never know what you will find in the treasure and mystery of an over-stuffed junk drawer.)
- Toss out the trash and anything sticky that you do not recognize.
- Now begin the purging process, 70 ketchup packets, 12 pairs of paper wrapped chopsticks, dozens of random screws and bread ties, you honestly need all of this stuff? Keep what you need and purge the rest.
*Tip – if you are a collector of drive-thru and take-out dinner items than put these in a plastic container and into the pantry. They are not doing anyone any good crammed into the junk drawer.
Now, here is the best part.
- Give your drawer a name. Naming the drawer will give it an identity and prevent cramming of items that do not belong in the drawer. Everything in our homes needs a place and a purpose. If if does not have a place and a purpose than it needs to purged, donated or trashed.
My kitchen junk drawer last year housed spare keys, old school ID cards, pictures, gum and chip clips. ( and lots of other stuff that I deemed trash at the end of the purge)
Now my kitchen drawer is the wooden spoon drawer. Yep, it has a purpose.
If you need your kitchen drawer for misc. office supplies or those handy kitchen clips then name it something that will keep it that way.
The Chip Clip and Mailing Drawer or the First Aid Kit and Homework Helper Drawer.
Random items usually have a home someplace else in the house, pictures should go in a special box or album, old IDs can go into a memory box and gum can go in a plastic container in the pantry.
Did you name your drawer yet?
- Now place like items together that belong in the drawer and anything remaining that did not belong in the drawer place in a box that can be sorted at a later time so that you store the items in their proper place.
Remember, every item in your home needs a purpose and a place. If it does not it is taking up precious real estate that you pay for every month! Purge! Trash! Donate!
Less Clutter – More Peace
Tomorrow we enter the laundry room. You are rocking these challenges!
Here is the 31 day Clutter Crusade Guide for the Month
You can right-click this photo and save it to your desk top or print it and share it with friends. Give Mommacan.com some love by tweeting you progress or sharing on Facebook with the hashtags #cluttercrusade or #mommacan.com. I am mommacansing on Twitter.