Getting a good night’s sleep is essential to women, especially busy moms. It is so essential that it rates right up there with eating healthy and exercising. Unfortunately, a good night’s sleep is the first thing that goes for many women because of crazy schedules and family obligations. Moms are the first to tell you how tired they are every day and many do not understand how important sleep is for overall well-being.
Five Reasons Good Sleep Is Important To Women
I can look back over the years and count too many incidents where I had to nap in my car before school pickup. I can remember parking my car and setting my alarm for 15-minutes to just get some uninterrupted rest.
It is shameful and sad that I had to wait this long in my life as a busy mom to realize how bad I was treating the one person who is always there to take care of the kids and what felt like everything else in the world. But I kept going, year after year, trying to squeeze a 15 minute catnap here and there so I could feel well enough to get from point A to point B.
Crumby Moods Stem From Exhaustion
Many times I would catch myself in the crumbiest mood, all stemmed from exhaustion. I suffered, my kids and husband suffered, hell I was a mess. But I had to keep going, I had to keep all the balls in the air so that nothing missed a beat. I mean I was a mom of the 21st century and I had to crush goals while roasting perfect chickens and baking fluffy rolls doing yoga as I pulled them out of the oven.
One day, I found myself in a puddle on the couch crying from stress and exhaustion. I was pumping caffeine in the morning and afternoon to make it through the day. Then, I would have a glass of wine and chew a melatonin to fall asleep as fast as I could to get a whopping five hours of sleep each night. (on a good day)
I felt terrible. I was getting less and less sleep so I could do more and more. My health was taking upper cuts and roundhouse kicks day and night and I was close to falling apart, It was not a good feeling.
Starved For Sleep
I starved my body for sleep. It affected my health across the board. I did not intend to start this unhealthy cycle. It is something that began innocently as a new mom many years ago and just kept chipping away as I parented over the years.
I finally can say, that I am now putting my health first so I can feel better. I felt I had to share it with you! Because I feel as if this is a modern day issue for moms.
Tired Of “You Can Do More!”
I am so tired of hearing the phrase You Can Do More! You can add this to your schedule if you buy this shiny planner and sparkly pens. You can make time to bake 2 dozen cupcakes, work a full-time job, take care of the kids, pay the bills, clean the house, and walk the dog because that is what GOOD moms do! Why? Because some book said you could just make the time? “You just had to want it bad enough?” Nonsense! There are only so many plates one mom can juggle without finally letting them crash to the ground. And sweet friend, if you are a mom and you are not sleeping, those crashing plates will not be easy to glue back together again.
You need rest! You cannot healthfully balance any part of your life without good sleep.
Five Reasons Good Sleep Is Important To Women, Especially Busy Moms
- You will be more alert. This is important stuff for busy moms. We need to be at our best for our family and being alert is essential.
- Moms will be less grumpy with adequate sleep. Moms who don’t get enough sleep can be cranky. It makes you look back on your life and think, wow, no wonder my mom was in a bad mood, she was damn tired!
- Women who get better sleep are happier. I will say no more, ladies you deserve to be happy!
- Your metabolism works better. Studies link sleep deprivation to an increased chance of obesity. When you are tired, you crave more food and you don’t have the energy for physical activity.
- You can give more. It is so true, you can’t give from an empty cup. It is essential that you take care of you so you can take care of others. Sacrificing sleep long term can create a host of other problems. Weight gain, lack of focus, low energy, and depression are common for sleep-deprived women. This means the mom is depleted and just has less to give and even then does so with a heavy heart because she is tired.
Five Reasons Good Sleep Is Important To Women
In a nutshell, good sleep is important to women, especially busy moms. With a rocket launch list of responsibility and the same hours a day as everyone else it can be very difficult. However, not getting good sleep can cause hard lessons, including weight gain, unhappiness, depression, lack of focus, and getting the nickname Queen Cranky Pants.
My challenge is that you create a plan each day to get a good night’s sleep. Most grown adults need between 7 to 9 hours of sleep. Why? Because a good night’s sleep is important to women!
You deserve to be healthy and happy.