When I think of my home in my dreams, the curtain are always open, the dining table table is set with white china, beautiful glassware and crisp linen napkins. The dog has been bathed and smells like lavender and my floors shine like a brand new Cadillac. Oh sweet dreams, oh sweet wonders of my imagination. O gentle tug on my pajamas…. wait who is tugging at my mom jammies? It is the dog, doing his morning potty dance. I can hear my son groaning upstairs about how he has to get up sooooo early this morning for Orchestra class. I have almost finished my morning coffee. Reality has come to slap me awake.
However, my dreams to not have to fade. Today is day two of our How To Have A Rocking Mother’s Day Weekend! We are going to spruce up as much as we can and pull in the troops to help a little bit. The troops, being anyone who lives in our home.
Did you have time to spruce up the kitchen before bed last night? I hope so, but if not, today is a brand new day! So let us jump in on the tasks. Do as many as you can through the day, one is plenty, two is super awesome, three gives you rockstar status and all of them make you the grand prize winner of being a super mom.
- Do a quick 52 pick-up around the house. Choose the room of gloom. The one that is bugging you the most right this minute.
- Make sure you tidy up after breakfast. Wash up the dishes or load up the dishwasher. Wipe down the counters.
- Make up the beds and request that the older children do the same.
- Vacuum the main rooms. Dens, living rooms and entryway.
- Dust the main rooms, Dens, living rooms and entryway.
- Clear the clutter off the floors for 10 solid minutes. You can split this up into two 5 minute slots and share with a family member.
- Have the children pick up and put away their toys if they are old enough to do so and if they are in toy pick-up denial, hold those toys hostage in a big sack in the closet until after Mother’s Day weekend. After the weekend they can earn those toys back by doing chores or practicing math skills or some sort of task.
Don’t forget to tidy up the kitchen before bed tonight! Have an awesome day rockstars!
What is your favorite flower? Mine is the sunflower. And to make sure I enjoy looking at them while drinking my hot cup of coffee on Mother’s day morning I am zipping to the grocer and purchasing a few stems today. I am choosing not to leave it to chance and I have given up on hinting to my husband it is a pointless task. I will have my sunflowers, by golly.