Fresh tomato, herbs, and shredded chicken over a bed of arugula greens is a healthy salad that is super tasty! Make this with leftover rotisserie chicken or chicken breast. Perfect for lunch, brunch, and dinner.
Learn how to make this healthy salad with a delicious balsamic vinaigrette and serve it as a main course or side dish.
I have always been an fresh herb fanatic. This salad has some of the tastiest herbs to make the tomatoes and chicken simply sing!
Weight Watchers Friendly!
I know, it sounds silly but honestly, this is one of my favorite salads and it is like 2 points in Weight Watchers (now WW) if you use the breast of a rotisserie chicken without the skin and cut the olive oil to two tablespoons. I call that a winning recipe. As soon as I did the point math I sent a photo to my mom.
She is a WW lifer and has had great success. I am a dabbler but have really been loving making recipes that we can both make together the next time I am in Tennessee.
I hope you love the tomato, herbs, and chicken salad over Arugula as much as I do!
Tomato Herbs and Chicken Salad over Arugula
The tomatoes are those colorful heirloom tomatoes that you buy in a clamshell container at the market. They are sweet and so pretty to look at! In the summer I plan to use vine-ripened heirlooms with this salad and add some fresh mozzarella.
The herbs are basil, parsley, and green onion. I love the three together, chives would also work and even a bit of cilantro if you like it.
The salad is served of Arugula, I love the bite of fresh arugula and the texture makes the salad seem more robust. You can use your favorite greens!
Serve this salad with some crusty sourdough bread or a fresh baguette slathered with good butter. A simple but beautiful meal.
- 1 pound small tomatoes halved or quartered
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- ½ cup coarsely chopped basil
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- 4 Cups Arugula or your favorite Salad greens
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
In a glass mason jar add olive oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard, dried thyme, and salt and pepper. Screw on mason jar lid and give a good shake until blended.
- In a medium glass bowl add tomatoes, shredded chicken, basil, green onions, and chopped parsley. Pour Vinaigrette on top of the salad and mix well.
- In a large platter or in individual bowls place greens on the bottom. Add tomato and chicken salad mixture on top. If using bowls add around a cup to each bowl. Serve immediately.
Vegan variation: Instead of Chicken use Garbanzo beans or any bean you love.