Vegetarian Korean potato salad with grapes, raisins, and almonds is a tasty side dish for any occasion. Our version has grapes, almonds, and golden raisins for a California twist!
You know how I love a salad! Some food bloggers dream up cupcakes flavors and others whip up fantastic cakes with oodles of topping. But this gal loves a salad.
This post contains some affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
YouTube and Potato Salad
I was browsing on YouTube waiting for a video to load and happened upon a Korean Potato salad tutorial. And just like anyone does on that App, I binged watched the Potato Salad funnel of videos and just had to make a fusion version of Korean potato salad.
I gathered up the most common factors of this refreshing potato salad treat and found that many had ham. If you know my family, they are on the picky side and ham is not something my hubby will eat. So for sure, I would have to switch ham for a different protein. I chose sliced almonds! I wanted to use roasted and salted but we were out and these days it is a real task going to the market!
California Twist on Korean Potato Salad
Once I chose the sliced almonds I thought, hmm, let’s go with a California twist to our Korean style potato salad. So I grabbed grapes and golden raisins.
After much thought, I opted out of adding eggs, traditional in most Korean potato salad recipes I read so I could make this recipe vegan or vegetarian. You can totally add chopped boiled eggs and ham! However, this recipe is so good, you will not miss them.
Love trying new kinds of salads? For a limited time, Momma’s 10 Best Salad Recipes are available in a gorgeous mini-Cookbook. Grab your FREE copy here.
Here is a list of ingredients in the potato salad:
- Yukon gold potatoes (red potatoes will work)
- English cucumber
- sweet onion (white or yellow onion will work)
- red seedless grapes
- golden raisins
- mayonnaise or a vegan version like this one.
- sugar (just a tablespoon)
- rice vinegar (apple cider vinegar works)
- salt and pepper
Don’t you love this blue and white porcelain bowl!?! Each one I have came with a different pattern! My son says they are his favorite dishes in the house.
You can find something similar here.
Don’t forget the chopsticks if that is your jam. Grab some here.
Love Salad Recipes:
- Green Grape Chicken Salad
- Strawberry Chinese Chicken Salad
- Broccoli Apple Pecan Raisin Salad with Honey Dressing
Vegetarian Korean Potato Salad Recipe
- 3 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes peeled and quartered.
- ½ cup English cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ cup thinly sliced carrots
- ½ cup diced sweet onion
- ½ cup sliced red seedless grapes
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup mayonnaise, vegan mayonnaise for those who prefer
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, place quartered potatoes and pour in enough cold water to cover. Add a pinch or two of salt and bring to a boil. Good potatoes until fork tender, around 12-15 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, place cucumber slices on a paper towel or clean flour cloth and sprinkle with salt. It takes around 1 ½ teaspoons.and they need to sit with salt for around 5 minutes. Then rinse and squeeze the excess water from the cucumbers in the paper towels or cloth.
- Don’t skip this step, or you will end up with soggy potato salad.
- Drain cooked Yukon gold potatoes and add to a larger mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients along with a pinch or two of salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Give it a taste and adjust seasonings.
- Refrigerate for a half hour before serving. Enjoy!
For variation use apples, thawed frozen corn or peas. Just try different things!
Leave a Reply