I have been food focussed for the past few days because, quite frankly I need to drop a couple of pounds. My oldest son is getting married in June and I would really like to feel a bit better about wedding photo souvenirs that will go down in permanent history.
I am on day three of a Whole 30 and am feeling carb withdrawal in a big way but also feel more rested than I have in many, many weeks.
Last night I made this yummy Ground Turkey Spaghetti Pie and was surprised that it was pretty darn good because it is not so pretty to look at. We really do not eat much beef or pork around here and all the recipes on-line seemed to be made with these kinds of meat. Most recipes called for sausage, but finding a Free Range Turkey sausage is not simple and I like to cook in bulk and that would get mighty expensive.
I used Free Range Ground Turkey and it turned out just fine.
This Grain-Free Ground Turkey Spaghetti Pie is quite tasty and open to some variations that I look forward to trying in the future.
Pass the Basil People – We are making a spaghetti pie!
1 large spaghetti squash (about 600 grams)
1 pound ground turkey
½ yellow onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
3 eggs, whisked
(optional: add anything you like with pizza: veggies, basil, even cheese if you do primal)
- By far the toughest task in eating spaghetti squash is roasting it, cutting that sucker in half and roasting is the most tasty way to cook one but I just don’t have that kind of time in my life and I suspect you don’t as well. I am going to link you to both methods here….. How to Microwave a Spaghetti Squash or How To Roast a Spaghetti Squash and you choose which you prefer. I microwaved mine whole and it worked out just fine.After you prepare your squash by roasting or microwave make sure any stray seeds have been removed and then scoop out the strands into a large mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large pan cook ground turkey and onion until turkey is cook through. You may had to add a bit of water or broth to the pot about half-way through because ground turkey is lean and will not have that extra fat for cooking like ground beef or pork. Add meat mixture to the bowl filled with you yummy Spaghetti Squash.
- Stir in tomato sauce, basil, oregano and garlic powder then mix well. Add whisked eggs and blend until you can no longer see the egg. (If you have children a squeeze or tablespoon of tomato paste will sweeten this dish up for their picky palates)
- Empty contents into a 9×12 baking pan.
- Place filled 9 x 12 pan in oven and bake for 1 hour or until the top of the mixture forms a slight crust that doesn’t give when you press on it in the middle of the dish.
- Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes and serve with a crisp salad or veggie sticks for the kids!
You will be amazed at the YUM factor of this dish.
For variation add your favorite pizza topping, mushroom, bell peppers, black olives or a sprinkle of parmesan add the end of the cooking time for flavor.