Southern Berry and Caramelized Pecan Salad, Fresh strawberries and blackberries, sweet crunchy pecans, crisp butter lettuce and a drizzle of orange honey vinaigrette makes this one of my favorite salads of all time!
This post contains some affiliate links
Picking Berries in Tennessee
I can think of better memories than taking my kids to pick berries. My oldest picked berries old school. When blackberries ripened in Tennessee, you did not go to a farm made for kids to go pick in perfectly kept rows with a cute red barn and attendants dressed like farmers! You went to your favorite hill or side of the road that had a few bushes or to a neighbor or relative’s house to pick a few pints!
The downside of picking berries was chigger bites! Thank the Lord for Calamine Lotion! The upside was the perfect sweetness of sun-kissed vine ripened berries. Each unique and not perfectly sized, like the grocery store. Some tiny, some big and plump, and always a few tart ones mixed with the sweet to make you pucker when you bit into the berry.
Southern Berry and Caramelized Pecan Salad
I know you are probably thinking pie! But today I am sharing this oh-so-yummy Southern Berry and Caramelized Pecan Salad!
Made with fresh butter lettuce, berries, a bit of red onion, caramelized pecans and a gorgeous orange vinaigrette. This salad is summer perfection and a treat in the winter on days your can find berries in the market. Substitute apples and grapes in a pinch!
Need Other Yummy Salad Recipes?
I know we love the Southern Berry and Caramelized Pecan Salad! Every blue moon I love to create new salads! Try a few listed below.
- Thai Tuna Salad with Peanut Dressing
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Apple Salad with Dried Cranberries
- Cranberry Sunshine Salad
- Lebanese Fattoush Tuna Salad
- Caramelized Pecans
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- juice and zest of one orange
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 cup strawberry halves
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat and add nuts, sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir constantly with a rubber heat-proof spatula for approximately 4- 5 minutes until the nuts are coated in the melted sugar, spices, and butter.
- Transfer nuts to parchment paper and spread evenly. Pecans and caramel will harden in 7 to 8 minutes.
In the meantime, whip up your vinaigrette.
- Grate the orange zest into a medium glass bowl, squeeze in the juice, and add the olive oil, Dijon mustard, and salt and pepper.
- Whisk ingredients until smooth, adding more olive oil as needed. Set aside until ready to dress you salad.
- Put Together Southern Berry Pecan Salad
- Wash and dry your butter leaf lettuce. Add the leaves whole or torn, your choice.
- Lay lettuce on a larger platter or in separate bowls. Distribute strawberries and black berries evenly. Garnish with the red onions.
- Separate the cooled pecans and add to your bowls or platter. Serve the dressing on the side or add right before serving. Save a few pecans to add to the bowls after dressing the salad.
Variation: Add apples or grapes! And if in season fresh peaches or nectarines.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g