Oven-Baked Pineapple Chicken Kabobs are a scrumptios summer dinner idea that you can make in a snap! Juicy pineapple with tender chicken and peppers and onions make a colorful dish that your family will enjoy.
My First Memories of Kabobs
As a girl, I lived in Isthmere, Turkey. Our housekeeper/nanny would take us to the local street vendor and she would buy kabobs and take us home to enjoy her lunch while my brother and I ate heaping “American” peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
This post contains some affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
I would look at the flame-broiled roasted meat she was enjoying and think, that looks so good. Much better than a peanut butter sandwich! When we moved back to the states my mom would make the kabobs in the oven. Made with marinated steak, peppers, red tomato, and onions.
Our metal skewers were brought home from Turkey, along with a turkish coffee make and drinking set. Treasures from our family life in another country, forever in my heart.
In the seventies you rarely heard the word kabob, most folks had never had anything like it.
These days you can find them in lots of Mediterranean restaurants as well as American restaurants, made with all kinds of meat, fruit, and vegetables
Today I am sharing an Island style Pineapple Chicken Kabob that can be baked in the oven. It is declious, sweety, and savory with juicy meat and fresh pineapple.
Making Oven-Baked Pineapple Chicken Kabobs
You will need the following items to bake kabobs in the oven.
- Metal Or Wooden Skewers
- Medium glass bowl to mix the marinade
- Small Whisk
- Small Sauce Pan
- Wooden Spoon
- Gallon Zip Top Bag
- Baking Sheet
- Baking Rack
- Aluminum Foil
- Basting Brush
- Canola Oil Spray
Fresh pineapple is best, but sometimes not in season or hard to find. If you need to use canned, get the large chunks. To get extra pineapple flavor add juice from the can to your marinade.
I often add mushrooms and zuchinni if they look good at the local produce market. Other recipes you may enjoy.
More Recipes to Enjoy
Oven Baked Pineapple Chicken Kabobs
Sweet pineapple and tender chicken with colorful peppers and onionss make this easy recipe a family favorite. Kabobs are always a treat!
- For the Kabobs:
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces. ( about 1/2 inches)
- 2 bell peppers (choose your favorite colors!)
- 1 red onion
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Juice of 1 medium-sized orange
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup tamari soy sauce
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- Whisk together ingredients for the marinade. Reserve 1 cup for later use.
- Add cut chicken pieces remaining marinade to a gallon-sized zip-top bag. Refrigerate for up to two hours. (or prep this part the night before)
Cooking the Kabobs
- Preheat oven to 450° Fahrenheit.
- Covering a baking sheet with aluminum foil and add a oven-safe baking rack. Sprits rack with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cute onion, peppers, and pineapple into bite-sized pieces, around 1½ inches.
- Add chicken pieces, pineapple, peppers, and onions to skewers alternating as you go.
- Lay Kabobs on the prepared baking rack and spritz with a little olive oil or canola oil spray.
- Bake for 25 minutes turning halfway through.
- While kabobs are baking add remaining marinade to a small saucepan and cook over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and stir often to prevent burning. Reduce the marinade for around 8 minutes as it simmers. Remove from heat.
- After Kabobs have baked for 25 minutes remove from oven. Turn oven to broil setting. Baste kabobs with reduced marinade and return to oven for 5 minutes. Watch carefully as you only want to caramelize the marinade a bit not scorch the kabobs.
- After 5 minutes or when you see the color of browning you like, remove kabobs from the oven, and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice or with a big green salad!
For variation use pork instead of chicken and/or add mushrooms or zucchini squash. I also add some red pepper to the marinade for extra heat.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 765Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 2448mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 4gSugar: 44gProtein: 76g
Leave a Reply