BBQ Baked Chicken Thighs are a yummy lip-smacking treat at our house. It takes the slow cooking Sunday outdoor BBQ taste of summer indoors for a year-round way to enjoy juicy, tender, flavorful bbq chicken.
One of my favorite dinners growing up was BBQ chicken on the grill. My uncles would get together and fuss over the chicken all day long, basting and basting until it was smokey, sweet perfection. Our family served up platters of this poultry treat, alongside ears of corn, potato salad, and watermelon. It was a very American Sunday picnic, even though we were a Latino family by heritage. Our BBQ sauce always had a hint of citrus and lots of aromatic spices. But y’all, it took all day long to cook the chicken, and for a kid that felt like an eternity.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
That is why I love, love baking a mess of BBQ Chicken thighs for dinner once or even twice a month. The chicken comes out juicy on the inside and the skin is crispy and caramelized with BBQ sauce goodness. It is ridiculously good eating.
Today I am sharing the best method for seasoning, basting, and baking BBQ chicken thighs.
How To Make BBQ Baked Chicken Thighs
The biggest time-suck for anything baking is forgetting to preheat the oven. If you forget, then you have to wait, and that means it will take longer to get supper on the table.
Preheat your oven to 400º Fahrenheit.
- Pack chicken thighs dry with paper towels.
- Grab your favorite seasoning rub or use this recipe of Southern Seasoning Blend Seasoning and rub all over chicken pieces. Arrange seasoned thighs on lined baking sheet skin down and baste with bbq sauce. Flip to skin side up and baste this side with sauce.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, remove and baste with more bbq sauce.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes or when thighs register at 165º F on a meat thermometer. Move the oven to broil setting and good an additional 2-3 minutes to caramelize the BBQ sauce.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes to seal the juices.
- Serve and add optional fresh chopped flat parsley to the chicken for a pretty plated dish.
More chicken recipes you will enjoy:
- Oven-Baked Chicken and Rice
- Skillet Chicken Lasagna
- Green Grape Chicken Salad
- Chicken Pineapple Teriyaki and Vegetable Rice
Easy BBQ Baked Chicken Thighs
BBQ Oven Baked Chicken Thighs with a seasoned rub, favorite bbq sauce, and baked to crispy juicy perfection.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 60
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
- 2 heaping tablespoons of your favorite bbq or all-around spice blend. (I used this Country Spice Blend)
- 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ Sauce. We love Stubbs!
- Preheat the oven to 400º Fahrenheit.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and spray with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and rub in the seasoning blend. Arrange chicken on prepared baking sheet, skin side up.
- Pour about half of the bottle of bbq sauce in a bowl and baste the chicken thighs on both sides, make sure you finish basting with the skin side up.
- Bake in the preheated oven (400º) for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and baste chicken with reserved BBQ sauce. Return to the oven and bake for 20 more minutes.
- Chicken should register 165º F on a meat thermometer.
- Switch oven to broiler and broil 2 to 4 minutes to caramelize the BBQ sauce.
- Garnish with fresh green chopped flat Italian parsley and serve immediately
If you want a spicier bbq sauce, add 1 teaspoon hot sauce or sriracha sauce.
Keywords: bbq chicken thighs