Okra and Tomatoes are a wonderful combination for a simple southern side dish. This recipe is healthy and easy to make. We use frozen okra and fresh cherry tomatoes, so make it any season!
Okra and Tomatoes Recipe
When I was a growing up my mom would always share the story of an older gentleman who would sit on his front porch rocking and eating boiled okra. Porch snacking is not an unusual occurrence in the farmlands of Arkansas. She would describe him in a blissful state taking each okra pod, closing his eyes, and eating it whole. She made it sound amazing, and I would immediately say can we have okra for supper!
Southern Ways To Eat Okra
We often had traditional Southern Fried Okra, or boiled whole with a little butter. This recipe is a little like stewed okra and tomatoes with less broth. Because it is less “soupy” it makes a yummy side dish, or a vegan dish if you have scoop over rice.
I make simple Okra And Tomatoes with frozen okra and a package of those yummy cherry tomatoes. You can cook it year round! I love that frozen okra has so much nutrition and I have even made baked “fried” okra in the oven using a bag.
Love My Heavy Dutch Oven
I use my trusty Le Creuset Dutch Oven this recipe. However, any large heavy skillet or with a good fitting lid will work.
I love that I can use pop Dutch Oven in the dishwasher on my tired mama days!
I cook this recipe on a low temperature so if you use a gas oven and do not have a simmering option invest in a heat diffuser. They work great! I use this one.
I also love this Littledeer Pan Paddle and use it daily, works with all cooking pans including nonstick.
More Southern RecipesPrint
Simple Okra and Tomatoes Recipe
Tasty southern side dish made from frozen sliced okra and fresh cherry tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Vegetable, Sidedish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Spray a heavy dutch oven or skillet with a good fitting lid with canola oil.
- Place over lowest heat setting possible, use diffuser if you have one. Add olive oil, minced garlic, frozen okra, and cherry tomatoes to pan.
- Cook uncovered for 15 minutes, taking care the heat is very low or using a heat diffuser.
- Give the vegetables and garlic a careful stir, try to keep a few tomatoes whole, it makes the dish look extra lovely.
- Cover and cook for 30 to 45 additional minutes. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.
This dish can be a wonderful meal served over rice or cauliflower rice. Enjoy!
Keywords: okra and tomatoes