Southern Fried Chicken Tender Strips are a crowd pleaser! Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside these fried chicken tenders will please even the pickiest eater in the house. Serve them with our light and creamy BBQ dipping sauce!
Southern Fried Chicken Tender Strips
We have two bonafide picky eaters in this house. It’s challenging to find something everyone will eat without too much whining. Southern Fried Chicken Tender Strips fit the bill nicely and they taste amazing!
The trick is to not be skimpy on the seasoning the flour. This is also a great way to help the little ones experience more flavors! That crunchy batter is a pretty good disguise for a variety of yummy spices.
I add salt, paprika, garlic powder, dried thyme, ground sage, onion powder, white pepper, cayenne (option but so good) and even so turmeric for its health benefits.
I even add some of these seasoning and a dash or two of Tabasco to the buttermilk bath now that my kids are older and like a little heat with their chicken strips.
This recipe with be the kid-friendly version but go ahead and heat it up as you see fit!
Tips For Making The Best Southern Fried Chicken Tenders
- As mentioned above, season the flour well.
- Use and an electric skillet for best results. If not, try cast iron or whatever skillet you use to fry!
- Press the breading into the chicken tenders firmly. This will help create the extra crispy crust! (Restaurants use this trick all the time!)
Kitchen Tools Used For Southern Fried Chicken Tender Strips
- Kitchen Tongs ( I always keep at least 2 pair ready to use)
- Electric Skillet I love my fold-away Electric Skillet!
- Nesting Glass Bowls –I keep two sets for large prep days, like Thanksgiving!
- Pepper Mill – I love OXO brand kitchen tools.
Spices for Fried Chicken Strips
My Awesome Spice Lineup For Southern Fried Chicken Strips
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Thyme
- Ground Sage
- Onion Powder
- Cayenne Pepper(option but awesome)
- Ground Turmeric
Our Southern Fried Chicken Tender Strips are so full of flavor! I have to share a few sides to make this dish your favorite dinner ever!
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1//2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 pounds chicken tenderloins
- Oil for frying
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the egg and buttermilk. In a separate shallow bowl, combine the flour and spices, stir to blend.
- Dip chicken in egg mixture, then flour mixture. Repeat for extra crunchy crust.
- In an electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry chicken tenders, a few pieces at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with a little salt if desired.
Serve with your favorite condiment.
Try our light bbq sour cream dip.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon favorite bbq sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
Note: If you double dip for extra crust you may need to have more egg mixture and flour to finish all the tenders.
Serving Size:half pound chicken tenders
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 340Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 28g