Looking for an easy homemade cornbread without buttermilk recipe? You have found it Southern Cornbread Without Buttermilk! This is the best cornbread recipe to make cornbread from scratch easily. Serve this Southern Style Cornbread it with rich real butter and a big pitcher or sweet tea!
Southern Cornbread Without Buttermilk
When I was growing up my dad could cook two things that I remember well Southern Cornbread and Fried Rice. The cornbread he learned as a child cooking for his family. The Fried Rice was something he learned during deployment as an Airman. http://ridgefieldacupuncture.com/buy-doxycycline-online/
Today I am sharing the recipe he taught me as a young child, Old Fashioned Southen Cornbread Without Buttermilk. It is not super sweet. It is the perfect recipe to use to make Cornbread Dressing or slathered in butter and served with a big bowl of chili or a meaty stew. http://ridgefieldacupuncture.com/cheap-viagra/
Another scrumptious way that we eat cornbread is crumbled up in a tall glass of cold milk. Treats apparently were pretty simple back in my dad’s youth. But I love it, it is refreshing and filling at the same time. http://ridgefieldacupuncture.com/propecia-online/
This post may contain affiliate links. It adds no cost to you but keeps this blog alive and ticking. See my full disclosure here.
Fancy Sweet Cornbread
My husband fancies the sweet cornbread, it tastes like cake. I keep telling him that is a muffin and not cornbread. Sweeter cornbreads are a Northern American treat. Give me the hearty version of the South any day of the week. Sweet cornbread is what is in the Jiffy Box. Now, I do love using Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix for a few recipes, but it is really to sweet to be versatile like our Southern cornbread with less sugar.
Southern Cornbread Without Buttermilk Recipe
Southern cornbread uses less flour than its northern counterpart and rarely contains much sugar. When my dad was young he did use buttermilk in the mix however, we never kept buttermilk in the fridge so I grew up using sweet milk and it works just fine!
I use a traditional Cast Iron skillet to cook our Old Fashioned Southern Corn Bread. I love the idea that my great grandparents cooked on Lodge Cast Iron. My mom actually still uses the cast iron skillet that was used by my grandparents! These skillets and dutch ovens will last for generations when cared for properly.
Either way, you make cornbread, north, south, east, east, there is no sense in making out of the box when it is so easy to make from scratch!
Southern Dinner with Cornbread
If you are in the mood for a good Southern meal, fry up some crispy chicken or cook a quick roast chicken in the Rocrok, make up a pan of Southern Crack Green Beans and some creamy mashed potatoes. Slice up some fresh tomatoes, scallions and a bottle of Hot Sauce. Then serve it all with a cold pitcher of iced tea. ( sugared-up real good)
Five Yummy Ways To Eat Southern Cornbread Recipe
- Crumbled over a plate of cooked collard greens.
- Topped with Shredded BBQ Chicken, Pork, or Beef
- Crumpled in a tall glass of cold milk.
- Sliced in half and filled with fried catfish, filet and slaw
- Topped With Spicy Chili or Blackeyed Peas.
Anyway, you slice it Southern Cornbread Without Buttermilk is so darn good!
What To Serve With Southern Cornbread Without Buttermilk Recipe
- Okra and Tomatoes
- Mashed Potatoes
- Momma’s Famous Turkey Chili
- Irish Potato Soup
- Salt and Pepper Chicken Thighs
Let’s cook up some Southern Cornbread without Buttermilk!
Little Note Y’all! If you want a moister cornbread, add another egg and 1/8 of a cup more milk. That creates a more cake-like bread. Traditional Cornbread is not soft like a cake.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 cup sugar or 1/4 if you just need a shade sweeter ( still not sweet like corn muffins though!)
- 4tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- cooking spray or butter to coat the pan
- Preheat oven to 425° and coat the inside of a 9-inch pie plate or 9 to 10 inch cast iron skillet or 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray or real butter.
- In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs, milk, and oil.
- Pour wet ingredients in the cornmeal/flour mixture and stir until mixed well. This is not a super smooth batter, so don't obsess over a couple of lumps.
- Pour batter into prepared dish/skillet and bake for 20-to 25 minutes. The top will be golden brown and the sides crunchy. Cut and serve.
This cornbread recipe is perfect with butter and honey, maple syrup, or even drizzled with real blackstrap molasses. Serve it as a side with your favorite southern main dishes including shredded BBQ pork, roast chicken, chili, and stew.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 438mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 5g