Southern Yellow Squash Casserole
Yellow Squash Casserole is a classic southern dish served at special gatherings and one of the many ways to serve squash in the summer when it is plentiful from the garden. My kids love the crunchy ritz cracker topping and the cheesy filling. This is fast becoming another casserole that is a must have for holidays and special meals. It is yummy!
How To Make Yellow Squash Casserole
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Read my full disclosure policy.
Yellow squash is simple to make! You need to precook sliced squash and onion to soften using a steam or sauteed method. I prefer to saute with a pat of butter. Whisk together the egg, mayonnaise, sour cream, and cheese then fold the squash and onions into the egg mixture. Top with crushed buttered crackers and bake!
Types of Yellow Squash
Yellow squash are available year round but more common during warmer months. They come with straight and crooked necks. Mild in flavor and almost sweet when cooked. A beautiful addition to soups and even sliced fresh for a vegetable tray. They are wonderful roasted, fried, baked, steamed, and delicious in a casserole!
How To Shop and Store Yellow Squash
Shopping for yellow squash is a simple but must-know task. Here are simple tips for shopping and storing for squash for your casserole.
- Shop for smaller yellow squash that are firm and free of blemishes.
- Avoid squash that is soft.
- Refrigerate in a plastic bag for up to one week.
To Prepare Yellow Squash For Cooking
Wash and trim the ends. Do not peel the squash.
Picky Eater Hint: If your kiddos are on the fence about squash casserole double the amount of crushed butter crackers. Put some yummy yellow squash casserole on their plates and explain that there this dish has lots of cheese! Consider fine dicing the onions until they learn to love it! My picky eater enjoys the extra crunch of the crackers!
What To Serve With Yellow Squash Casserole
Yellow squash casserole is a wonderful dish for buffet style suppers, special occasions and as a side dish for most roasted, fried, or grilled meats. I often pair it with Roasted turkey and chicken, fried chicken, and chicken fried steak!
More Yummy Southern Dishes
- No Buttermilk Needed – Southern Corn Bread
- Southern Smothered Crack Green Beans
- Southern Tomato Gravy so yummy over Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Southern Yellow Squash Casserole Recipe
Yellow Squash Casserole is an essential southern recipe for potlucks, bbqs, and holidays. Its buttery cracker and parmesan topping and tender squash, makes this recipe a favorite all year round!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Side Dish, Veget5able
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Southern
- 3 tbsp spoons butter (2 for crackers and one sauteing squash)
- 4 medium yellow squash, washed, ends trimmed, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium onion diced (about the size of your fist)
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated medium cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonaisse
- 1 cup crush butter crackers (I use Ritz)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray an 8 or 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
(In the photo I am using a Le Creuset Oval Pan that I love!)
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add squash, onion and a teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Saute until squash and onions are tender.
- Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together eggs, cheddar cheese sour cream, and mayonnaise.
- Add tender squash and onions to the bowl and fold until blended.
- Transfer the squash mixture into prepared baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine crushed butter crackers, parmesan cheese and two tablespoons melted butter.
Sprinkle cracker crumb mixture over top of casserole.
- Bake 30 – 35 minute, or until casserole registers 165º F and cracker topping is golden brown.
For an extra festive casserole, add chopped pimento to the egg mixture for a little color. Garnish with fresh chopped Italian parsley.
Keywords: yellow squash casserole, southern squash casseole, ritz cracker squash casserole