Spicy Fried Hash Browns Potatoes with Shredded Carrots and jalapenos is super yummy and has just enough heat to make your palate sing. Serve it as a stand-alone for breakfast with a side of fruit, or serve it for dinner as a side dish to fried chicken, pork chops, or a good ribeye steak on the grill.
This is simply the best spicy fried hash brown recipe that is vegan, friendly, and super simple to make using one good frying pan. I had my doubts about working on a hash brown recipe that did not include bacon and cheese, but guess what! You will not miss it!
Of course, if you want to garnish your dish with these condiments, go for it. But honestly, why not go light with a potato dish? Leaves more room for dessert!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Hash Brown Taters with Carrots? YES!
This dish has shredded carrots for extra yumminess and nutrition, sliced jalapenos for heat, and garlic and onions. After all, who makes hash browns without onions. And, Lord knows, onion goes with garlic, like that is a total no-brainer.
Take my word for it, it is going to be hard to put the fork down once you have a taste of these amazing spicy hash browns.
Cooks Tools in this Recipe You May Love
The Pan – Is the Always Pan, and I love it! – I was so hesitant at first, but now I am truly on team multi-tasking for an everyday nonstick skillet. Check it out here. It comes with a wooden spoon that is perfect for flipping and stirring and stores right on the pan.
Boxed Shredder – My carrots came pre-shredded however, I shred my own for many recipes when I have the time. I always use a boxed shredder for big jobs, easy to clean and less bulky than breaking out the food processor. Find several cool color choices here!
What To Serve With Spicy Fried Hash Browns?
- Super Crispy Fried Chicken
- Spicy Sriracha Chicken Legs
- Grilled Ribeye Steak
- Oven-baked Juicy Thick Cut Porkchops
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil (I used cold-pressed canola)
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 1/2 cups shredded hash browns (thaw if frozen)
- 2 jalapeno peppers sliced (Seeded for less heat or a mix)
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- Optional toppings, diced tomato, cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese, and additional onion
- Heat three tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shredded carrots, chopped onion, half the sliced jalapeno peppers, and minced garlic, saute until tender.
- Add shredded potatoes and sliced and/or seeded and remaining half of jalapenos to skillet, stir to blend the veggies.
- Cook 6-7 minutes or until brown on the bottom, then add another tablespoon of cooking oil. Turn potato vegetable mix over and cook another 6-8 minutes.
Note: Hash brown mix will need to register at 165º F for two minutes before serving.
Serve plated with diced tomato and sparsely chopped cilantro leaves.
Serve with fresh fruits!
Keep this recipe vegan, use vegan cheese. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 592Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 1055mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g