Hi friends, today I am sharing my life before and after my Whole 30 Paleo experience. I have been eating Paleo for a couple of years now at around 90% which seems to be working pretty well. I recently fell off the wagon and reversed my good results. When this happened many of the negative symptoms of PMDD, colitis, and general health came back in roughly four weeks.
To get back on track I completed another Whole 30 and have made the decision that wheat especially seems to be a real culprit in my health.
Here is My Life Before and After Paleo
( Guys, now is a good time to skip a couple of lines)
My Life Before and After Paleo
- My monthly cycle was pretty painful. I had to put myself out of commission for at least two days. I realize that many have pain during the menstruation but I was in pain comparable to labor pain. My cycle extremely heavy and lasted more than seven days. And lastly, my stomach issues with colitis would increase near my cycle. This is why it took years to diagnose, I thought it was just normal to be that sick.
- My skin felt painful at times. It felt as if my nerves were on fire.
- My skin had small bumps, especially on my arms.
- My joints felt awful and my toes actually felt like they were coming out of their sockets when I went to the nail salon. I was afraid to let the attendant touch me. My hips (even before I turned 50, felt like they would not hold my weight up)
- My mouth would be so sore, I have one receding gum that the dentist had been concerned about. It would hurt so badly, I was a slave to Orajel.
- I never slept well. I still have trouble sleeping but when I am on a Whole 30, I sleep like a log.
AFTER WHOLE 30 / Paleo
- My monthly cycle was reduced by two days and the pain disappeared. I don’t know if you can grasp this but for me it was huge. I actually wept when I had my first pain-free cycle. No more over the counter pain medication! I was taking as much as I could every day.
- Colitis symptoms practically zero, especially when I don’t drink wine or eat dairy or wheat. Wheat I feel was the largest issue for me.
- My skin is clear.
- My skin does not hurt and the tingly pain in my nerves gone.
- I can go to the nail salon without fear and do squats without worrying I will fall apart.
- I sleep better and feel better.
- My mouth pain, completely gone. Thanks for the help Orajel, but I no longer have to carry you in my pocket.
- I just feel better.
My Typical Meal Plan for Paleo as a Busy Mom
Sunday is my big grocery shopping! I plan my meals late Saturday evening then complete the details Sunday morning. Here is my menu for a week.
- Monday – Roast Chicken, steamed new potatoes, green beans, and fruit.
- Tuesday -Ground Turkey Tacos with a sweet potato -bean hash for my husband the vegan. My tacos are in a lettuce wrap!
- Wednesday- DIY Salad, Soups, and Sandwiches
- Thursday – Slow Cooker Pot Roast with radishes and carrots and a big salad.
- Friday – Family Movie and Pizza Night ( Cheat day for my 90% Paleo) I still eat dairy and gluten free though.
- Saturday – Coconut Milk based Butter Chicken with stir-fry spinach and mushrooms, and rice for the boys.
- Sunday – Dinner Out and another grocery trip!
If you are considering the Whole 30 Challenge the book is really helpful. You can find it here. Whole 30 Challenge
If you would like to read about my Whole 30 menus you can find the articles below.
- Whole 30 Week 1 – PMDD Miracle
- Whole 30 Week 2 – Meal Plan
- Whole 30 Paleo Week 3 – The Whole 30 is Helping Me Feel Better
- Whole 30 Week 4 – There Are No Mistakes For Busy Moms In The Whole 30
The Whole 30 is tough but forgiving your mistakes and moving on Whole 30 Challenges are the bomb. I highly recommend this way of eating to those who are looking for a change, even just for 30 perfect or not so perfect days. Check out the book here. Whole 30 Challenge