Southern-fried cabbage with onions is one my of favorite cabbage recipes. As a matter of fact, it was one of my favorite vegetables. Come grab the best southern meat-free recipe you will ever eat! Well, maybe cornbread ranks up there pretty good as well!
Southern Fried Cabbage with Onions
I can remember the first time I had a plate full of yummy freshly cooked vegetables at my aunt Inez’s house in the heart of Arkansas on what they fondly call “The Hill”.
Her husband (my uncle Aceil) always had a sizeable garden, and we visited there as a child at least twice per year. He grew a variety of vegetables, including many of my favorites purple hull peas, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, and turnip greens. We would cook these yummy things up and supper would be a wonderful selection of yummy vegetables with a bit of meat and some kind of yummy bread.
Oh, how I looked forward to my “plate of vegetables.”I believe that a“plate of vegetables” is a Southern Thing.
A typical plate of vegetables has greens, beans, sliced vine-ripened tomatoes, a sprig of fresh raw scallion, and a hunk of freshly baked cornbread. Just typing this out has made me so darn hungry!
Southern Fried Cabbage Without Bacon
One of my absolute favorite additions to a “plate of vegetables” is Southern Fried Cabbage. It is a simple recipe that is almost no-fail and healthy to boot, because cabbage is just ridiculously low in calories, full of vitamins, easy to find year-round, and darn economical per pound.
How to Make Fried Cabbage without Bacon
I cook up a big skillet of fried cabbage for dinner every other week. Fried cabbage makes great leftovers! I love it and find that the zest of red pepper and the savory sweetness of the cabbage and onions satisfies my hunger and is a perfect meatless dish with a 1/2 cup of beans. Yummy!
Southern Fried Cabbage with Onions is Good Eating!
I am sharing my Southern Fried Cabbage Recipe here today. I know we all have our own variations, so here is mine.
This Southern Fried Cabbage with Onions recipe has no bacon (but you can totally add some bacon while you are cooking the cabbage. 🙂
Serve Southern Fried Cabbage with Onions With Some Of These Recipes
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp real butter
- 1 medium onion - pared and sliced
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic - minced
- 1 medium to large head of cabbage - chopped into ½ inch strips
- 1 Tsp. Sea salt
- ¼ Tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 Tsp. red pepper flakes
- In a large skillet or pot warm olive oil and butter on medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic - sauté until they become soft and slightly lucid.
- Now add half of the cabbage, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, and stir.
- Add remaining cabbage stir, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cook until tender but not so much that it becomes easily mashed. The fork should penetrate large cabbage veins easy.
- I like to caramelize the dish a bit by cooking with a lid for half the cooking time then stick around and watch and stir a couple of times until the edges of the cabbage turn a little brown. The flavor will be sweet and savory.
Add crisp fried bacon after carmelizing the onions for even more flavor.
If you like this recipe, you may also like this yummy coleslaw recipe. Pineapple Orange Coleslaw Recipe