I adore Mexican food and love hash browns, this Spicy Taco Chicken Hash Brown Casserole has yummy ingredients including delicious shredded rotisserie chicken. The dish is spicy, comforting, and filling! This is the perfect dish for dinner but can great for breakfast or brunch.
How To Make Spicy Taco Hash Brown Casserole?
The ingredients are silly easy for this recipe! That is the charm, you can make it when you are in a pinch for an easy meal to feed a crowd.
- Thawed frozen or Simply Potatoes Hash Browns
- Shredded chicken, I use rotisserie
- Shredded cheddar, mild or sharp is fine, Mexican blend is fantastic
- Sour cream
- Melted Butter
- Taco Seasoning
- Crushed Tortilla Chips (cheese flavored!) or spicy crispy tortilla strips
- Sliced green onion of chopped fresh cilantro for finish.
So important: Preheat oven to 350º
Prep a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and grab a good-sized bowl to mix the casserole.
Mix sour cream, cheddar, melted butter and taco seasoning, stir will. Stir in chicken and hash browns. Spoon mixture into prepared dish and bake for 45 -50 minutes. Add more shredded cheese and top with tortilla chips and bake another 5 minutes or until cheese just melts. Remove from oven and top with cilantro or green onions. Serve and enjoy!
Make Ahead Instructions : This is a perfect make ahead dish for Sunday Brunch or picnics/bbqs. Prepare the taco hash brown casserole as directed. Bag your toppings for the finishing-bake separately. Refrigerate the casserole and the extra cup of bagged cheese for up to two days. When ready to serve, bake as directed, serve, and enjoy the yummy casserole!
Make Ahead Instructions
This is perfect for serving at family gatherings or weekend brunch because it’s so easy to make ahead! Prepare your chicken hash brown casserole without baking it, cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, bake as directed, serve, and enjoy. Don’t forget to reserve your extra cheese and tortilla chips.
Can you freeze Chicken Taco Hash Brown Casserole?
You can freeze leftovers in freezer safe containers. I love using the smaller ones for lunches and then adding a green salad for a healthy and savory lunch.
Freeze the casserole for later too! Prepare the casserole without baking in an airtight freezer-safe container. Freeze up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight and then bake casserole as directed. Don’t forget to add the last toppings as directed. You can freeze the toppings in freezer bags if desired.
Other yummy recipes to try:
- 20 oz package thawed frozen hash brown or refrigerated shredded potatoes.
- 2 cups shredded chicken (rotisserie)
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar, reserve 1 cup for topping after baking.
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips, cheese flavored tortilla chips or spicy crispy tortilla strips.
- Sliced green onions or chopped fresh cilantro to finish. Just a 1/4 cup is fine.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 3 quart baking pan (9x13 will work fine) with nonstick cooking spray. (I used canola)
- In a large -bowl stir together sour cream, 1 cup of shredded cheddar, melted butter, and taco seasoning, combine well. Stir in cooked shredded chicken and hash browns.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 45 - 50 minutes, remove from the oven to add reserved cheddar and tortilla chips, bake another 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese melts, taking care not to overcook the tortilla chips. You can loosely cover with foil to prevent too much browning.
- Garnish with thinly sliced green onion or chopped cilantro.
For variations, add some fresh jalapeno or some nice sliced avocado for a different flare. I even enjoy some sliced radish with this dish.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 318mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g